Monday, September 15, 2008

Firing up the smoker


Two weekends ago I failed miserably at finding a pork shoulder to cook. The sad little package of meat that HEB sold me as"Boston Butt" was in fact not a single chunk of pork but instead a packages of slices of shoulder. The liquid was cloudy, the meat was slimy, and it smelled like the buzzards should be more interested in it than I should. It quickly went into the trash.

I had resigned myself to being stuck in the land of beef-only smoked meat. Needless to say, I was very excited to find a real, bone-in, freshly cut pork shoulder on my trip to the grocery mid week.

Friday afternoon I tossed it in a brine and Saturday morning around 10 it went on my smoker to put the controller through its paces. After a little troubleshooting, things were good to go...and 10 hours later that delicious chunk of meat to the left came off the smoker...mmmmmmm....pulled pork...

1 comment:

A.B. said...

It was indeed delicious. Unfortch, I only got to eat like one bite of it....